Hiring Paperwork & Tax Information

If you are applying to Spring Clean-Up, click here for SCU hiring paperwork.

The following hiring paperwork must be submitted before you can begin your employment with Dorm Crew.

All Students

Temporary Registration (TR) Form

All employees must complete this form, even if you have worked for Dorm Crew before.

The Temporary Registration (TR) Form is a Harvard document used to enter your information into the University's payroll system. 

As soon as possible, this form should be downloaded to your computer, completed, and emailed to DormCrew@harvard.edu. We recommend using Adobe Reader as the form may save blank if you complete it using your web browser.

I-9 Form

The I-9 Form is a federal form used to verify your employment eligibility. You may complete a paper copy of the I-9 in the Dorm Crew office; please bring physical copies of all supporting documents with you (see below)

This form requires you to provide supporting documents that establish your identity (e.g., a driver's license), work authorization (e.g., an original Social Security card) or both (e.g., a passport). Please review the list of acceptable documents and bring these documents to the Dorm Crew office when you complete your I-9. You must provide original, unexpired documents. Federal requirements prohibit us from accepting scans or photocopies. Detailed instructions for completing the I-9 Form are available here.

The I-9 form also asks you to provide a Social Security number. If you do not have a Social Security number, don't worry! We'll help you apply for one!

International Students

I-20 Form

The I-20 Form is a federal form that Harvard has provided to you. This form is supporting documentation for your visa, and we may need to a copy of it in order to process your paperwork.

I-94 Form

The I-94 Form is a federal form that you may have received upon entry in the United States. You may need to provide a copy of this form in order to process your hiring paperwork. You can also access the form online.

Foreign Passport & U.S. Visa

We may need to make copies of your unexpired foreign passport along with your current U.S. visa.

Social Security Letter

A Social Security number is required before you can begin working for Harvard. If you do not have a Social Security number, please follow the steps below to obtain one. For more information, please contact the Harvard International Office.

  • Obtain a letter from Dorm Crew confirming your job offer. You can get this letter from the Dorm Crew office during regular business hours.
  • Bring the Dorm Crew letter to the Harvard International Office located in the Smith Campus Center, room 864. The International Office will also give you a separate Social Security letter
  • Bring both letters, your passport, and your Form I-20 to a Social Security office. You must do this in person. The nearest Social Security office is located at 10 Fawcett St., Cambridge (15 minutes from Harvard Yard). 
  • When you receive your new Social Security card, sign it and bring it to the Dorm Crew office in Weld basement. After you apply, it generally takes 2-4 weeks to receive your Social Security card in the mail.

Special Note for Spring Clean-Up Applicants: You must bring your Social Security card by Monday, May 7, or you may no longer be eligible to participate in Spring Clean-Up and/or receive housing through Dorm Crew and the Harvard Alumni Association.

Tax Information

W-4 & M-4 Form

After your hiring paperwork has been processed by Harvard's payroll office, you must designate how much money the University should withhold from your paycheck for taxes. You can complete these tax withholding documents online:

  • W-4 Form (a federal form instructing Harvard to withhold federal taxes from your paycheck)
  • M-4 Form (a state form instructing Harvard to withhold Massachusetts state taxes from your paycheck)

W-2 Form

Click here to obtain a copy of your W-2

You may need to file a federal income tax return if you receive a minimum amount of gross income for the calendar year. Filing a federal income tax return requires the information from your W-2 form. Harvard mails you a W-2 form each January. You may also access the form online.